[78-L] 78s about radio shows

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Thu Jul 9 17:45:03 PDT 2009

Donna wrote to us:

> might have been made into a record.  And I am sure there were other
> songs inspired by the hit radio shows of that era.

Hi  Donna,

I can think of several radio-show related songs off the top off my head (I
should be storing them somewhere else anyway...):

"All Right,  All Right,  All Right."  I have this by Joe Haymes on Melotone
and it's a humorous tribute to Bowes and the Amateur Hour.

"Are You List'nin'?"  By Jacques Renard on Brunswick.  Inspired by  radio
poet Tony Wons,  who speaks on the thing,  after a Smith Ballew vocal
chorus.

"Cliquot" by Harry Reser on Columbia...written to honor his long-time
sponsor.

"Who's Yehudi?"  Novelty song written about an on-going gag on some radio
show...forget which one,  c. 1940.

And there are all those tunes about Amos 'n' Andy as well...

Taylor