[78-L] 78s about radio shows

Donna Halper dlh at donnahalper.com
Thu Jul 9 16:51:18 PDT 2009

I know we've discussed this topic before ... I just found an ad from
the WLS (Chicago) magazine, offering readers songs they've heard on
the Barn Dance program.  One song is "Since Nellie Got the Gong."  As
I recall, one of the network talent shows (Major Bowes?) used a gong
to let a performer know he or she was pretty awful and their time was
up... The ad says it's from a song book, the contents of which are
the songs most often requested on the Barn Dance... What I was
wondering is whether anyone ever recorded it, even locally in
Chicago.  The Barn Dance was a very popular show, heard in a number
of cities, so if the song was popular, it seems logical to me that it
might have been made into a record.  And I am sure there were other
songs inspired by the hit radio shows of that era.