[78-L] stereo, ca. 1932

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Thu Jul 9 11:14:08 PDT 2009

At 11:28 PM 7/7/2009, you wrote:
> [...]

Sometime during the 80's when MTS stereo came out on regular TV
broadcasts, I remember a couple of TV stations doing stereo FM
simulcasts using a local FM station for the stereo link.  One was PBS
Ch 8 with it's classical music broadcasts & the other was a local Ch
26 on the 4th of July broadcasts with the Houston Symphony at Miller
Outdoor Theater. I have many of those broadcasts recorded in linear
stereo (the VHS deck didn't have VHS HiFi) at SP speed using an RCA
stereo VCR & it's simulcast input (the VCR didn't have MTS capability
with it's tuner either) however that recorder died a long time ago &
none of my current VCR's will play those tapes in stereo as they only
have a mono linear track head with VHS HiFi playback. Too bad as the
tapes sounded great in stereo even though the top end was only around
10k or so. If I ever find an older VCR with linear stereo playback
I'll transfer those tapes in stereo to DVDR's & keep the old VHS tapes too.