[78-L] Peanut Vendors

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Wed Jul 8 09:29:56 PDT 2009

The main problem with the damn peanuts is not their biodegradability, or
lack of it. It's the fact that anything heavy and regular in size, such
record "sandwiches", will shift inside the box during normal shipping
handling when using them peanuts as filler. Crushed newspaper does not
do that. The peanuts, especially the heavier brands, can transmit a
sharp blow to the package thus possibly causing breakage; crushed paper
absorbs the force.
To be fair, putting the peanuts inside tied off plastic bags like those
we get at the supermarket keeps them from sticking to everything and
also helps minimize content shiftage during transit. So they can be used
to good advantage.
I still don't like them!
Mal

*******