[78-L] Label Info. Query Answered

Steve Thornton fnarf at comcast.net
Mon Jul 6 23:51:16 PDT 2009

NO academic library that held it would ever shitcan it, but I'm afraid it
does not, in fact, exist in the holdings of Worldcat, which is for all
practical purposes "everything" (every public and academic library). The
only works listed there by Geoffrey Wheeler are the tantalizing titles
"Confessions of a Closet Beautician" and "FEATURES: Transitions and
Transformations From Reduction to Wood Fire to Cone 6 Electric", from a
journal entitled "Ceramics Monthly", an enthusiasm even more recondite than
our own. And some histories of Central Asia, some engineering, and some
Australiana. Cone 6 Electrics sound even kinkier than some of the
groove-spacing discussions here.

It may be hard for a non-librarian to understand, but a discographical book
like this would be irresistable to the same sort of person who could happily
dump a million 78s in the trash. It's a shame it's not in any library; I'll
bet there are several that would want it if they knew of it.

Wait, digging deeper I see one of our Geoffrey's titles: "Jazz by Mail:
Record Clubs and Record Labels, 1936 to 1958: including complete
discographies for Jazztone and Dial Records" (Manassas, Virginia: Hillbrook
Press, 1999). It's held at many university libraries across the US, Germany,
and Australia. There's a supplement, too.

There's a couple of other exciting items, including "'One of a Bye-gone
Time': Richard Parnell (1810-82) and his Fish Collections", and "We All Need
To Move: Lifting and Handling Techniques", which might come in handy for
some of you shellac collectors.

Any of these books can easily be had at your local public library through
the magic of Interlibrary Loan.

Wheeler's bootleg book belongs with his other one, obviously. Could he not
get it published by Hillbrook?