[78-L] 78-L Digest, Vol 10, Issue 16

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jul 6 14:53:37 PDT 2009

> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 21:35:54 -0700
> From: pete ault <graffen47 at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [78-L] Ok Folks here it is, the 1 "dumb" question of the day
> To: <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>

> There always has to be someone that comes along with a real winner so it
> might as well be me this time. An older friend of mine recently gave me
> his collection of records, mostly 33 12 inch LP's. My question involves
> the covers, some of these are so fragile, just taking the record out of
> the jacket causes them to break,then start tearing down the seams, either
> the back or top and bottoms also. My question is what can be done about
> this, and should i attempt a repair myself or is it better to just leave
> them alone. I'm looking at this from the point of view of wanting to sell
> eventually. I've noticed on a couple of the older album covers people
> tried to repair with tape and of course the tape yellowed and left marks
> on the cover itself, but leaving those awful tears only seems to make them
> worse everytime the record is handled. Is there an acceptable way to
> repair torn edges without further denigrating the value? Thanks for any
> help, and sorry for the dumb question. I just wan
> t to make sure I do everything right before attempting to sell them.

-----------------

Pete, this hardly qualifies as a dumb question.
A few years ago I was contacted by a record dealer (since passed) who was
given my name by one of our (former??) members, himself  then a brick &
mortar dealer whose shop I'd frequented a number of times. He offered me
some surprisingly high prices for some of my LPs.  Prior to his visit I'd
been repairing my split sleeves with Scotch 600 tape in 3/4" width long ago
having graduated from the deteriorating horrors of  masking tape and similar
stuff. I thought I was doing the right thing. (When carefully repaired with
600 the results can look almost professional or original. It's a clear tape
that I find is an excellent solution to this problem.  I learned of my
mistake when this chap informed me that  collectible LPs had greater value
when not repaired. He gave me $300. for a rare jazz album I'd very carefully
repaired but informed me that he would have given  $500. had I left it
untouched.  He also gave me  generous price on another jazz LP (original
condition) that I'd been about to throw out. The sleeve looked like a
Goodwill reject. On a subsequent visit to the record shop mentioned above I
noticed many old and pricey LPs with split sleeves that opened like a
gatefold album...no repairs. Needless to say I have given up repairing
anything I feel might  have eventual value. Those I store in the clear vinyl
sleeves mentioned by David Lennick. (available from
http://www.bagsunlimited.com/  and others)  Good luck!
Jack