[78-L] Four Lads Stage Show

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sun Jul 5 22:07:37 PDT 2009

Are you sure the 5-cut version isn't the later one? I don't know how those
series parallel but CL 2577 would have been in the House Party series.

dl

I have no idea.  I'm just assuming that the higher number is a later version.  I do know that the CL 2577 didn't have the "House Party" logo on it.  If it is the later one, it means that someone had to take the master tape, snip off 3 cuts and store them on a second reel, master the LP anew in the shorter configuration and then re-assemble the original version for storage;  all so they could make less money on a cheaper version which, like the original is a 10 inch LP.  I also wonder why, quite often, popular 10 inch LPs with three or four tracks per side utilized so little of the record's surface.  It seems that more often than not there is as much surface used for run-off spiral as there is for music.  The record could easily accomodate 2 or 3 more tracks per side.

BTW you mentioned Columbia issues which were released both as a 12 inch LP and two 10 inch LPs.  Somewhere around here I have both versions of Brubeck at Storyville but I can't find either one right now.  What I'm curious about here is what would the relative price have been between the two issues and what priority would have led customers to one or the other format.

db