[78-L] Decca Specialty Series (DAU-x)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 5 08:12:46 PDT 2009

The D actually stands for Automatic. Don't ask.

Same as in Victor albums..when changers became popular, albums had to be
reconfigured in automatic sequence, so a D was added to Victor's prefixes (for
"drop", since previous automatic machines were slide auto) and Decca did the
same thing..no "D", the set is manual sequence (side 1/side 2, side 3/side 4 etc).

Generally the stuff was vinyl..but it was too expensive for run of the mill
issues, it wasn't widely available during the War except for V-Discs and radio
transcriptions, and the pickups and styli were still too capable of damaging
the discs. Plastic records were a post-war luxury for what became "audiophiles"
and of course they were a godsend for radio stations.

Pye did press on vinyl..I don't know why other English companies didn't in the
50s. Probably still too many customers with older players..? Lots of pop
records in the US were pressed on some form of vinyl through the 50s, and
everything pressed by Quality in Canada from Day 1 (which was in 1950).

dl