[78-L] Decca Specialty Series (DAU-x)

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sun Jul 5 07:59:16 PDT 2009

At 23:36 04/07/2009, DL wrote:
>The U in the prefix almost always indicates "unbreakable".

So -- I guess that means that DAU stands for D-ecca A-lbum U-nbreakable?

>Deccalite pressings are translucent at that time (not Canadian pressings
>though). Don't know if these would be by World Transcription or Vogue.

Ah -- so what was Deccalite --plastic, vinyl, left over to hard
raspberry gelatin? I'm sure this is answer somewhere, but just thought I'd ask.

If such and similar stuff was available and used for promo records by
the likes of RCA and Capitol, then why didn't the industry switch to
it away from shellac. Naturally one can guess that they didn't want
to make a better 78 to compete with the 45 and lp. I do note thought
that late 50s Pye 78s in the UK are vinyl, and sound great, so
obviously the situation was different there.