[78-L] Non-Transcription OTR on 78 (was Decca Specialty Series (DAU-x))

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 5 08:04:15 PDT 2009

There was a series issued in 1947 called "Top Ten", which for some reason only
had 7 issues. 4-disc albums, mostly of sketches running 3 to 6 minutes (1 ran 9
and the Cantor album contained a complete story line). All were recorded for
these albums, not taken from broadcasts. Amos 'n' Andy, Jack Benny, Edgar
Bergan & Charlie McCarthy, Fibber McGee and Molly, Duffy's Tavern, Eddie Cantor
and Burns & Allen. There was a "Breakfast In Hollywood" set which I believe DID
use excerpts from broadcasts, there was a "Truth or Consequences" album on
Mercury, there were a couple of dramas like Archibald McLeish's "Air Raid" and
Corwin's VE Day Salute "On A Note of Triumph" issued by Columbia, there was
"The Lonesome Train" on Decca, and Mike Biel will likely step in and add to the
list.

dl