[78-L] re-issues

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 4 19:59:11 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>I think there is some crappy cut 10" version of the 12" Berigan "I Can't
>Get
> Started"  which to me is even more stoopid than a shortened  "Sing, Sing,
> Sing."  Again,  must have been somebody at Victor who thought such a
> version
> would sell...but to whom?

To folks (a LOT of them!) who owned 10" record players...or radio-
phonographs which usually accepted 10" 78's (in a FEW cases, unless
told otherwise?!). The market for 12" 78's peaked around 1916-18,
and virtually evaporated in the depression years...and the RCA
"plug-in record players" were designed around 10" 78's!

While a tighter groove pitch might have made it possible to issue 12"
originals on 10" records...this solution seems to have never occured
(or been ignored) to the CMFIC's of RCA/CBS (the ONLY record
companies of that era?!)...so they issued carefully-shortened versions
of these originally-12" records?!

...stevenc