[78-L] Shellac allergy

Dnjchi at aol.com Dnjchi at aol.com
Sat Jul 4 17:28:02 PDT 2009

In a message dated 7/4/2009 8:19:07 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pathe90rpm at yahoo.fr writes:

I find  contradictory information about my allowed daily dose of shellac.
Can some  expert please clarify.

1) From foodinfo.net:
E904 =  shellac
Acceptable daily intake (ADI) : None determined
Side effects: None known.
Dietary restrictions: None. E904  can be used by all religious groups and
vegetarians.

2) wikipedia.fr,  however, says that shellac (French: gomme-lacque) may
cause allergic reactions  and quotes from:
Le Coz C-J., Leclere J-M., Arnoult E., Raison-Peyron N.,  Pons-Guiraud A.,
Vigan M., (2000). Allergic contact dermatitis from shellac in  mascara.
Contact Dermatitis 46(3), pp. 149-152(6)

This is in  fact contradictory. Now, has any of our list members
experienced allergic  reactions from shellac? In what way? What was the dose? What was
the time of  exposure? What was the remedy? Are you cured now?

Alex

Alergies?  I don't know.  But when I was a kid I got a good  shellacing,
and I deserved it.  But it soon wore off.

Don Chichester

**************It's raining cats and dogs -- Come to PawNation, a place
where pets rule! (http://www.pawnation.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000008)