[78-L] Decca Specialty Series (DAU-x)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jul 4 16:36:02 PDT 2009

The U in the prefix almost always indicates "unbreakable". I said "almost"
because they forgot to press at least one item on the Deccalite in Canada but
still issued it as DU 4XXXX whatever (Crosby/Jolson: Alexander's Ragtime Band).
The Specialty Series was originally on shellac..and in the US, the absolute
worst shellac Drecca ever came up with. It must have been considered good at
the time but it sure didn't hold up. I've never found an unbroken copy of "Cask
of Amontillado" (amazingly, I did find a good copy of that, on an English
Brunswick 45 EP).

No cast is listed in the Ruppli books and my album is out in the garage.
William Spier is listed as director and the cast is probably the same as on any
version of it on "Suspense" from that period (I think she did it 97 times, and
don't forget the repeat for the West Coast).

Deccalite pressings are translucent at that time (not Canadian pressings
though). Don't know if these would be by World Transcription or Vogue.

The first album was U-1 (don't know why it wasn't DAU-1): Giuseppe de Luca:
Italian Art Songs (90003/5). 90000 and 90001 are Frank Luther children's
records, 90002 is one by Peter Lind Hayes, 90006 is Ray Bolger (we're probably
talking about Genie the Magic Record and The Churkendoose for the latter
two..takes too long to go back into each volume to check the cross references).

Other albums:
DAU-3	Bing Crosby: The Man Without a Country (90013/4)
DAU-4	Sylvia Marlowe: Bach-Vivaldi Harpsichord Concertos (90015/7)
DAU-5	Howard da Silva: Tales from The Old Country (90020/21)
DAU-6	Manhattan Tower (90026/7, vinyl reissue..odd, I've seen this on ten-inch
as well)
DAU-7	John Gielgud: Hamlet Soliloquies (90024/5)
8 & 9 unknown (I wonder if these are the ANTA albums?)
Remainder are single discs given DU album numbers except for Judith Anderson's
"Medea" and Fred Waring's "Song of Christmas". You get the idea.

dl