[78-L] Frank Luther on Victor

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Fri Jul 3 16:58:18 PDT 2009

One of the best things about being horridly disorganised is that you
are always re-finding things and saying 'Wow! I didn't know that I had that!'

And so it was as I was digging though my 45s (what?) to dig out all
of my Canadian Content stuff and set it aside. Wow -- a lot of stuff
-- thanks to listening to CHUM before it got screwed up. Enough of
that soapbox though. As it were, I bought a bunch of stuff at a
record store in the Lincoln Fields Shopping Centre in Ottawa. And
with that stack was a 78 -- a 7 inch 78.

What it is a child's record on from RCA Victor Canada and is on His
Masters Voice/ Victor catalog 223. It has a batwing label. Oh and
apart from being a 7 inch, it is easily twice as thick as a regular
78. Oh -- and the content. It appears to be a part of a set called
Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin Songs. This is sides 5 and 6 of
the set and is Buckingham Palace on the a-side and Vespers on the b.
The artist Frank Luther an it says Tenor with violin, clarinet and
piano. Its carries a copyright of Stephen Slezinger, NY. Oh -- it has
a VE (in a diamond) stamp in the run out grooves.

I'm guessing this is from his 1933 sessions for Victor. Wikipedia
says these where 6 inch records, though.. well they do indeed have 6
inches in as much as one must have 6 to have the 7 that this does.

So -- background on this please