[78-L] Video

Ken "Silver Showcase" kenreg at tds.net
Thu Jul 2 21:25:21 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:

>  the Toscanini Hymn of Nations is PD
> because it was an OWI (Office of War Information) propaganda film.
> Maybe not the RCA restorations, but the original version with the govn't
> titles is commonly available.

And you need to know that most post-war prints of this film were
edited.  Missing is the center section of the film telling about the
anti-Fascist activities of Toscanini and other Italians living in exile
in the US, as well as The Interntational from "Hymn of the Nations."
Toscanini added his own arrangement of "International," (which was the
national anthem of the USSR at that time), and "The Star Spangled
Banner" to the end of Verdi's "Hymn of the Nations."  After the war
International was clipped from the film.  A DVD I saw of this
performance a few years ago was still missing the International.  There
were also later versions with different narrations.

I've got the original and unedited version on 16mm as issued by
Blackhawk Films for many years.  The only difference is the opening
title card says "Toscanini Conducts Verdi."  Other than that its the
complete version with the original 1944 narration.

I ran this film for a college alumni gathering just last Sunday and it
went over resoundingly well.  The Maestro's magic still works!

-- Ken