[78-L] NIGHT AND DAY

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 18:30:35 PDT 2009

RAY KILCOYNE wrote:
> I just noticed that Ella Fitzgerald recorded duets with both Louis Armstrong and Louis Jordan.  Bing Crosby also recorded duets with both Louis Armstrong and Louis Jordan.  But...did Bing and Ella ever do a duet together?  I've never heard one.  Am I missing anything?  Maybe on radio?
> RayK
> P.S. Ella and Bing recorded NIGHT AND DAY, REMEMBER, and probably others including many Christmas songs, but not together.
How about all three?

Louis Armstrong
prob. includes 1 unknown tp plus Bobby Guy, Ziggy Elman (tp) Ted Vesley,
Wendell Mayhew, Elmer Smithers (tb) Matty Matlock, Morris Bercov, Dave
Harris, Larry Wright, Warren Baker (reeds) Jacques Gasselin, Nicolas
Pisani, Harry Bluestone, Henry Hill, Sam Freed, Jr., Mayer Oberman (vln)
Milton Thomas (viola) Cy Bernard (cello) Buddy Cole (p) Perry Botkin (g)
Country Washburne, Larry Breen (b) Nick Fatool (d) Bing Crosby (vcl)
John Scott Trotter (arr,cond) with guest stars: Ella Fitzgerald (vcl)
Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl)
"The Bing Crosby Show", Hollywood, CA, c. Nov.14-28, 1951
     Undecided (ef vcl)    Jazz Unlimited (Dan)JUCD2034 [CD]
     I get ideas (la vcl)    Sounds Rare SR5010, Jasmine (E)JASCD336 [CD]
     Memphis blues (la,bc,ef vcl)               -               -
     Chesterfield song [Sound off] (la,bc,ef vcl)    (Jazz Unlimited
(Dan)JUCD2034 [CD]
     A kiss to build a dream on (la,bc vcl)    Sounds Rare SR5010,
Jasmine (E)JASCD336 [CD]
     Jamboree Jones (bc vcl)    (unissued)
     It's beginning to look a lot like Xmas (bc vcl)        -
Note: This program was broadcast on radio (no telecast) on November 28,
1951. The recording date is estimated based on an in-program reference
to the filming of "Glory Alley".
The studio orchestra personnel of Dec 5, 1951 as given in the "Red
Nichols Story" book (Evans, Hester, 1997) is used here minus Red Nichols
as he was on the road in November and not available for this Crosby show
taping.
All issued titles on Jazz Unlimited (Dan)JUCD2034 [CD]

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4211 (20090702) __________

http://www.eset.com