[78-L] Video

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jul 2 14:58:47 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> Anyone know if there's any public domain video of Toscanini and
>> Bruno Walter? Will meet in underground parking garage if necessary.
>> Deep Score
>
> D.S. --
>
> Do you mean video of Artie and Bruno together meeting in an underground
> parking garage?

I thought all copies of that surveillance film were destroyed. (No tape in
those days.)

> If not, if you are willing to accept video of them
> separately conducting an orchestra, the Toscanini Hymn of Nations is PD
> because it was an OWI (Office of War Information) propaganda film.
> Maybe not the RCA restorations, but the original version with the govn't
> titles is commonly available. I'm not sure about Bruno.  Columbia might
> have done a promotional film, and usually those are not copyrighted if
> they are released for publicity purposes.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

I think the client is looking for concerts..this is someone in Japan who's put
out the request (and wants to issue them). I assume any Toscanini stuff is
controlled by the estate, except for the OWI film.

DS er DL