[78-L] how many CROWNs?

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 30 19:31:33 PDT 2009

I'm going to hazard a guess that the two late 40s Crown labels Thomas cites
with releases in the 100+ range are the same one, since it was essentially a
jazz label. ARLD shows two New York addresses for this company in 1947 and 1949
but doesn't name any proprietors.

There was also a Crown label made by the crown Record Corp. in Los Angeles
(1950) and Hollywood (1954), proprietor Dick King and "Executive (?)" Nick
Therry. #1101 released May 1952, #3588 released June 1953. Type of material not
listed. Jules Bihari's Crown Records seems to have existed at the same time,
starting up in late 1953 or early 1954.

dl