[78-L] Playing European DVDs ^

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 29 19:58:08 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> From: "Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr." <citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net>
>
>> I am in the US. I have a few documentaries sent from England,
>> recorded off BBC television on Citroens I had to do this with.
>
> If these were discs that had been recorded off the air on a home
> stand-alone DVD recorder, most likely they were recorded Region-Free.
> I've never seen an amateur recording machine with an option to insert a
> region code.  Only commercially produced discs have a region code, and
> many of these made outside the U.S. are actually Region-Free.  Did you
> try playing the discs on your normal DVD player?  If they were home
> recorded, they probably would have played.

I'm surprised the manufacturers of DVD recorders DIDN'T try to make them region
specific. Remember consumer DAT machines which could only make uncopyable
recordings at 48k? (There was a way to defeat that, but there were so few
machines sold it didn't matter.)

The DVDs I bought specifically said Region 2 and wouldn't play in any of my
machines till I looked for the hack.