[78-L] Introduction (a bit long)

Bart garioch at texas.net
Sun Jun 28 14:52:11 PDT 2009

At 04:43 PM 6/27/2009 -0700, "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com> wrote:

[snipped]

>That 12-inch Bing/Duke record was in the catalog a
loooooonnnngggg time,
>and shows up often, most commonly as a red label
Columbia, but still
>using the original matrices.  It was originally a
Brunswick.  Look for
>the Show Boat album or individual discs from it,
which also started life
>as 12-inch Brunswicks but ended up as red label
Columbias in set C-55.

I've only got about five 12" records.  Or nearly 12" - the Pathe is a bit
smaller.  One is the Bing/Duke but it's not handy, I haven't looked at it
for some years.  Red Columbia sounds about right.  I do have Showboat's
"Ol' Man River" backed with "Selections from Showboat" but it's a Victor
35912, Paul Whiteman and Paul Robeson / Whiteman and Chorus.

>Central Texas, eh?  There are a lot of important collectors in
that
>area, as well as Kurt Nauck, one of the most important 78
auction
>dealers.  He just told us that the unsold list is up on his site.
If
>you are close to Spring you might want to go there.

Funny, a lot of the second box's records have sleeves stamped with "Nauck's
Vintage Records" and the address.  It's not exactly near - I'm in Austin -
but the trip would be feasible.

>The two boxes you got sound interesting.  You seem to have gotten a
good
>start. Maybe the Texas people can steer you to some good record
shows.
>I had a chance to go to the annual sale in Austin a few years ago
when
>it happened the same weekend that ARSC ended.  There were some 78s
there
>but not like the Jazz Bash we had in New Jersey last week.

I live here and didn't know there was an annual sale in Austin!

Bart