[78-L] Introduction (a bit long)

Bart garioch at texas.net
Sun Jun 28 14:24:01 PDT 2009

At 07:35 PM 6/27/2009 -0400, David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
 wrote:
>Fascinating..I'd never heard that story about the Lasses (this sounds like a
>cue for someone to interject a trombone joke).
>
>The Piddling Pup is a fairly well known party piece recorded a few times,
>including by Jackie Kannon on LP. List member David Diehl has been working
on
>documenting these since the last millennium, over at The Blue Pages
>http://www.hensteeth.com/ but chunks of it are still under reconstruction,
>including the title section.
>
>dl
>
>(Not gonna quote the whole thing, you'll be happy to know)

Thank you, and Michael Biel, for this recommendation.  I had not seen this
site before.  I spent a good time reading through some of the listings last
night.  I didn't find answers to my question though, just fresh questions
as it sometimes goes. "Offspring Deluxe" is the more outre song and to my
ears the more interesting side.  I think I can identify the singer as Ray
Bourbon because his (her?) voice is quite distinctive.  I emailed a fellow
who has a web site about Ray Bourbon and he suggeted it may be a pirated
pressing from the days when organized crime controlled certain jukeboxes
and bars.  If so that would explain why no identifying information (even
accurate song titles) would be on the disc itself.  Whether that is a
reasonable explanation or a fanciful one I'm not competent to judge.  Going
with that theory though, I thought it might be equivalent to "Love Child"
WESTERN RECORD CO. BOURBANA WR-717-B because it tells a first person story
of an illegitimate birth, even using the phrase "I'm a love child of the
very first degree" in the verse before going into a disquisition on his
family tree.  However on the Blue Pages I see another record by Bourbon
named "Family Tree" IMPERIAL 100B, so I've got another candidate for
equivalence if it is indeed a known Ray Bourbon recording under another
name, unless "Love Child" and "Family Tree" are themselves equivalent.  But
I haven't heard either of them, only my own "Offspring Deluxe".

On the other hand there was lots of good information about Benny Bell's
records including dates, although Humoresque wasn't listed among them.  His
songs can be heard at The Judaica Sound Archives at Florida Atlantic
University but they have very little info by which to date what you're
listening to.  My ears tell me it must be much closer to 1950 than 1930,
but my ears aren't more specific and are known to be wrong sometimes...

Bart