[78-L] V-DISC Requests.

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jun 27 20:11:09 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> Steven C. Barr wrote:
>> Remember that a discographic work, once digitized, becomes
>> searchable and sortable! Twenty years ago, my then-employer
>> offered an interest-free loan to purchase a "home computer."
>> I borrowed/spent almost $2,500.00 to acquire an 80286-based
>> machine; my employer gave me dBASE III+, which I used to
>> "digitize" various discographic compilations, like the Plaza
>> matrix listing (from RR) and RR's "Perfect" listing! Once I
>> discovered how easy it was to sort these data files on ANY
>> field (back then this took about one full minute!!), I realized
>> all 16,000 3x5 cards had been WASTED effort!!
>> ...stevenc
> This raises another question about when we go the the great junk pile in
> the sky. We often discuss what will happen to our collections, but what
> about the files we have on our PCs? Some are more scholarly than others,
> but probably contain information not available elsewhere. Will our
> families know what to do with them, and should we leave explicit
> instructions for them?

Interestingly enough, this is a VERY important...and RARELY addressed...
question!! The answer is rather simple...place a formatted CD-ROM disk
in your CD-R drive, and then "copy *.* to the new "back-up" disc!@!

Keep in mind, folkses, that once you fall over stone cold daid, your huge
physical/digital "archive" is VERY likely to follow its owner into
oblivion?!

Hint hint hint?!

...stevenc