[78-L] V-DISC Requests.

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 27 00:39:11 PDT 2009

Steven C. Barr wrote:

> Remember that a discographic work, once digitized, becomes
> searchable and sortable! Twenty years ago, my then-employer
> offered an interest-free loan to purchase a "home computer."
> I borrowed/spent almost $2,500.00 to acquire an 80286-based
> machine; my employer gave me dBASE III+, which I used to
> "digitize" various discographic compilations, like the Plaza
> matrix listing (from RR) and RR's "Perfect" listing! Once I
> discovered how easy it was to sort these data files on ANY
> field (back then this took about one full minute!!), I realized
> all 16,000 3x5 cards had been WASTED effort!!
>
> ...stevenc
This raises another question about when we go the the great junk pile in
the sky. We often discuss what will happen to our collections, but what
about the files we have on our PCs? Some are more scholarly than others,
but probably contain information not available elsewhere. Will our
families know what to do with them, and should we leave explicit
instructions for them?

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4193 (20090626) __________

http://www.eset.com