[78-L] "House Party"

Dnjchi at aol.com Dnjchi at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 13:41:54 PDT 2009

Back in 1982 I rented a camper and took the family to the Colorado Rockies
for a summer vacation trip.  On one trip we went to th "Garden of the
Gods", a beautiful valley of red rocks standing upright in the fields.  For
supper we went into Colorado Springs and a restaurant there.  A few days  later
we wended our way home to Erie.  Upon reading the accumulated  newspapers,
I was surprised to read of the death of Nick Lucas, in Colorado  Springs,
the day we were there for dinner....
Don Chichester

In a message dated 6/27/2009 4:28:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

From:  "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> Heck, I loved that show  when I was a little kid (late 50s).
> To show you how naive I was, I  recall asking my parents why
> there weren't more shows like that on the  radio. The little
> bands on House Party and on Arthur Godfrey played  some damn good music.

Last week when Dave Weiner showed a film of Nick  Lucas at the Jazz Bash
I was reminded that the first time I ever saw Nick  Lucas was on House
Party, about the same time that Taylor was also a  fan.  I was sick and
usually watched and/or listened to it when I was  home.  I was almost
cured and due to return to school when I heard  that Lucas was going to
be a guest on TOMORROW'S show.  I had a  "relapse" and thus was able to
stay home another day to see him.  I  had known of him from just one
record of his in my father's collection,  "Rosy Cheeks" b/w "Underneath
the Stars", but it was one of my favorite  records.  A few months later I
was interviewed for a teen page in one  of the local newspapers and in
talking about records I mentioned that  record and that Nick Lucas was
making a come-back.  I might have also  known of his Decca LP, although
it was many years before I got a copy of  it.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From:  Dnjchi at aol.com

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
>> Oh  great, now I'm not going to be able to get it out of my head,
because
>> that thing never ended. They just kept playing it on and  on and on and
>> on and on and on until the announcer finally said  "This is the CBS Radio
>> Network" or "This is the CBS Television  Network" depending on which
>> version you were tuned to. Played by  something like the Muzzi Marcelino
>> Trio I believe.

>  Mike (at least Michael Jackson never recorded it) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

78-L  mailing  list
78-L at klickitat.78online.com