[78-L] "House Party"

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Jun 27 13:27:55 PDT 2009

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> Heck, I loved that show when I was a little kid (late 50s).
> To show you how naive I was, I recall asking my parents why
> there weren't more shows like that on the radio. The little
> bands on House Party and on Arthur Godfrey played some damn good music.

Last week when Dave Weiner showed a film of Nick Lucas at the Jazz Bash
I was reminded that the first time I ever saw Nick Lucas was on House
Party, about the same time that Taylor was also a fan.  I was sick and
usually watched and/or listened to it when I was home.  I was almost
cured and due to return to school when I heard that Lucas was going to
be a guest on TOMORROW'S show.  I had a "relapse" and thus was able to
stay home another day to see him.  I had known of him from just one
record of his in my father's collection, "Rosy Cheeks" b/w "Underneath
the Stars", but it was one of my favorite records.  A few months later I
was interviewed for a teen page in one of the local newspapers and in
talking about records I mentioned that record and that Nick Lucas was
making a come-back.  I might have also known of his Decca LP, although
it was many years before I got a copy of it.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: Dnjchi at aol.com

From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>