[78-L] Jackson frenzy on eBay

fnarf at comcast.net fnarf at comcast.net
Sat Jun 27 10:02:37 PDT 2009

That's an interesting article, but I wonder about this part: "Upon MJ’s death, the rights to every Beatles song that he owned reverted back to Paul McCartney."

My understanding, which is not reliable, is that Michael used the Beatles catalog as collateral on a loan from Sony to cover his astronomical debts. Supposedly he died owing $500 million. I'm no expert on copyright law, but I don't see those rights reverting anywhere; they're a corporate asset. And right now they're owned by the executor(s) of Michael's estate, and controlled by the judge who's going to oversee the unraveling of that estate and the dozens of pending lawsuits by and against MJ. It's going to be quite a show.

If you can't understand how a person could earn more than a billion dollars yet die owing $500 mil, take a look at "Living With Michael Jackson" part four, where he goes shopping in the world's tackiest antique (or fake-antique) store in Las Vegas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sthetlxmWRA

Another mind-boggling look at the shopping tastes of the Gloved One here: http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2009/04/17/goodbye-brain-sorry-i-accidentally-exploded-you

Part of Jackson's mystique is the absolute overload of crazy that he lived in. He was a spectacle in every aspect of his life, from the time he was five. He probably never attended a day of school.