[78-L] It's hard being loyal to 78-l

krabgrass at aol.com krabgrass at aol.com
Sat Jun 27 09:53:38 PDT 2009

I'm mostly a digest reader, offering a question or comment periodically. I bought and watched Leah Biel's DVD on record collectors and saw myself in many of the folks interviewed. Couple that viewing with the recent spat of racist, and dogmatic self-congratulatory postings by some of those filmed reminds me that collectors like the general population include ass holes and saints. The saints appear to be losing.

Collectors tolerate each other because no one else knows what we're talking about. However, please discuss more about groove width, Enrico Dylan's vocal range, V+ vs. E--, or anything but how wonderful you are to put down Michael Jackson's life.

Compare it with your life. One surrounded by an accumulation of recordings you've never heard, won't hear, and still defend when your spouse and family want some time or to be heard. I know, I've hidden behind my stacks of shellac long enough to have moved from "this will all be worth something when we need money," to, "it has an intrinsic historical value that I'm preserving," or, from Capitalist to Public Servant.

Again, I ramble. I'm shamed by some comments on the list lately. Not because they abuse free speech--say what you want. I'm shamed because I hope for more decency from the members. I guess we're just proving Nerds need a locker room too.

Dennis Flannigan