[78-L] Odd Capitol 78

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jun 26 20:09:50 PDT 2009

I've seen Deccas like this, with the commercial label (a different one) on each
side, but never a Capitol mule. Is it vinyl or superflex by any chance? Don't
bend it to find out, but Capitol promos were made on the most wonderful vinyl
except for a couple of years when they did them on Superflex (noisier than good
shellac). Then they went to yellow or white label vinyl pressings around 1950.

I've also seen Victor promos where the plug sides of two different discs were
pressed back to back, but these always had DJ catalog numbers (and the issue
numbers in parentheses). This kind of thing plagued music librarians if they
liked to file records by artist.

dl