[78-L] Runaway run off

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jun 25 09:52:44 PDT 2009

That needle run is common on many acoustics, although it shouldn't show up as
often on Columbias which usually had a locked groove. You find it on Victors
pre-1923 and other labels that didn't have a lock or an extra inner groove to
catch the soundbox.

As for groove space, record companies frequently used a wider pitch to hide the
fact that a record ran for a short time. It also enabled them to cut the disc
at a higher volume, especially in the rock 'n' roll era.

"Isn't that a kinda short song?" "Yeah, it gets more plays that way."
--Stan Freberg

dl