[78-L] Buddy Stewart - not forgtotten

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Jun 22 13:47:23 PDT 2009

Agreed,  Julian..he also did a lovely wordless side on the Sittin' In label
called "Shawn" which I guess was named after his then infant son.  The flip
is a wonderful ballad called Laughing Boy.

Buddy's sister was once married to Stan Getz.  In his book on American
singers,  Mel Torme had much praise for Buddy as an original artist.

First I ever heard of him was his vocal with Krupa on Everybody Loves My
Baby...not the 20s tune of a similar title but a late 40s song written by
Artie Dunn of The Three Suns.

Buddy does a little wordless intro to his chorus and then just glides into
the lyrics...mmmmm good!

BTW I had a little hand in something which helps to preserve the memory of
Buddy Stewart.  When I learned that he had been born in Derry,  NH,  I
called a bookseller friend of mine who lives there and he put me in touch
with the guy who runs the Derry Historical Society and Museum.  Soon they
added some information and material about Buddy to their display honoring
"famous" people who had come from the town.   That really pleased me.

More and more I think it's up to oddballs like us record collectors to do
our part to make sure that the lesser-known artists of the past are not
forgotten.

Taylor