[78-L] EFHJREM

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jun 21 22:48:38 PDT 2009

I love the James band as well.  I've always preferred his  version  of I'm
Beginning To See The Light (with the cool Allen Reuss intro and coda and a
great Kitty Kallen vocal) to the lumbering  Ellington rendition which was
issued around the same time...on that one the Ellington reed section just
sounds like an industrial strength vacuum cleaner.  It is a great song but
the I think the James arrangement is way better than was Duke's of his own
tune.  Any of you James fans know who wrote that chart?

I heard James live here in Seattle in '75 with a very good local pick-up
band...he was still playing great stuff,  both the ballads and the hot
tunes.

Bob Russell, who wrote lyrics for "Light" and many of Ellington's other best
melodies in the late 30s and 40s,  was one of the most underrated of the
time.  I'm not sure how late he was doing song lyrics,  but those are his
words on the late 60s tune He Ain't Heavy,  He's My Brother,  which was a
big hit for The Hollies.

Taylor