[78-L] Friedwald collection donated

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jun 21 20:03:16 PDT 2009

Will was at the Jazz Bash this weekend just at the time these postings
were made.  He didn't mention anything about this, and if I had known I
would have asked him which archives.  Not a very good article to not
have given the information that would not have required more than one
more sentence.

From: fnarf at comcast.net
> This is cool, but I'm a little sorry that the "jazz" and "popular song"
> records are being segregated. They are opposite shores of the same river,
> and out in the middle there are literally thousands, maybe half the
> collection knowing Friedwald's work, that have a good claim to being
> both. It would be especially unfortunate if all the white records went
> to Indiana and all the black ones to DC, but it's bad enough if
> museum-goers in DC get the impression that singing isn't jazz,
> or in Indiana likewise.

They're probably being split up in a way to minimize duplication to
existing collections.

> What SHOULD happen, of course, is a nuclear strike on the Copyright Industry,

What is the "Copyright Industry"?

> and ALL of this material immediately digitized to high-bit MP3

How do you propose doing this immediate digitization?????

> and released to the world so people can have an opportunity
> to understand their culture.....

Do they really give a damn?  There were several large groups of Blacks
in the hotel this weekend where the Jazz Bash was held, but the only two
Blacks I saw at the bash the entire weekend were the two guys cleaning
up the room.  If there is such a claim that this is Black Culture, why
aren't they interested in it?  (This isn't the first time this question
has been mentioned, asked, and discussed.)

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com