[78-L] Brass Band keys

Valerie Langfield rcq at minuet.demon.co.uk
Sun Jun 21 00:30:30 PDT 2009

Because playing in B major is a really really odd thing to do. The B
flat instruments would play in D flat - 2 semitones above the B, but
that's actually a diminished 3rd rather than a major 2nd, (rather than C
sharp major); the E flat instruments in A flat major (but should really
be G sharp major, the minor 3rd below B) and the poor bass trombone, the
only one to play in concert pitch, would play in B - oh, it may well be
that in those days, the other trombones were still playing in concert
(it changed). It would give even Harry M a headache, since his score
would make him blink a bit with such a variety of odd-looking keys.

But I'm re-thinking the Dvorak. It would be fine for that to be in
concert F (yes, a full tone below the original), so people would play in
G major, D major, and trombones in F; that's still sufficiently
sympathetic key-wise. How would that pan out with your pitch variance?
(I'm making enquiries to try to confirm that.)

Valerie

--
Valerie Langfield
www.rogerquilter.co.uk