[78-L] Brass Band keys

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 21:12:50 PDT 2009

>From an arranger's standpoint, what you say is correct, Valerie. Brass
instruments are generally pitched in Bb, so flat keys are far more common
for concert and brass band repertoire.

Which is why such a big deal was made about Fletcher Henderson writing in
sharp keys - musicians playing sax, trumpet and trombone were not as versed
in such keys, and they used to have to woodshed these arrangements to make
them sound properly.

Jeff Sultanof