[78-L] Brass Band keys

Valerie Langfield rcq at minuet.demon.co.uk
Sat Jun 20 09:36:08 PDT 2009

A flat minor concert would be B flat minor played (5 flats in key
signature); and F minor (4 flats) for the instruments in E flat. Not
unusual. The score (if one existed) would probably be shown in the
transposition (B flat minor, since most BB instrumetns are in B flat),
since you'd actually have G sharp minor rather than A flat minor
(concert) which would make things look very odd.

I've found BB keys are often tweaked for friendliness, from the original
keys.

I'm 99.5% certain Buglers' Holiday is in written C major (i.e. B flat
major concert); then the 3 soloists are just playing their fun and game
stuff in C major, which is a LOT easier than D flat, especially as so
much of it is built around the C harmonic series. :)  I'll confirm that
as soon as I can.

Cheers,

Valerie

--