[78-L] Brass Band keys

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 20 09:13:30 PDT 2009

In fact these are all British bands, from Paxton 78s. Some of them were
recorded by Levy's, which wasn't known for pitch accuracy, but the Dvorak is
one of them so G Flat Minor is probably okay. However, Bugler's Holiday in B
Flat means pulling the thing down 2.5%..not an outrageous amount to be off
speed in these early days of tape-to-disc fluctuations.

Here's another one, not a transcription this time: Ord Hume's "B.B. & C.F."
which at 78rpm plays a little below A Flat Minor. Not credited as a Levy's
master, and getting it to A Flat Minor is a matter of raising the speed 1.4%.
Assuming that the piece IS in A Flat Minor, this puts 2 out of 3 sampled discs
in the "pitch 'em up about 1.1-1.5%" range which also works for the Buglers if
that arrangement is in B Major.

More?

dl