[78-L] Forgotten bands - Hayton

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jun 19 16:14:56 PDT 2009

We had a recent thread about forgotten bands...and I think we concluded that
by now almost every band has been forgotten by the general public.  But
there are many times when even collectors and/or real fans of a music happen
to forget about a band or take it for granted.

I thought of that when I recently replayed several of the Lennie Hayton
Orch. Deccas from 1937.  I'd always kept his version of That Old Feeling in
my "special" file of faves,  but was really pleased to be reminded that
others of those Hayton Deccas are just as good...check out The Morning
After,  an amazingly catchy tune,  totally elegant arrangement and
performance,  and a super fine vocal by Paul Barry,  who is like a more
musical version of Jerry Cooper.

Hayton's piano playing is a marvel...not the bouncy Henry King style (which
I also like),  not lush and florid like Joe Reichman (whom I also like a
lot),  nothing like the slow-down-and-catch up pounding of Eddie
Duchin...Hayton has a really strong left hand which gives a solid foundation
for his subtle handling of the melodies.

These Haytons compare favorably with the other "upscale" sweet bands of the
era,  e.g. Johnny Green,  Richard Himber,  etc.  Fellow Sweet Band Phreaks
(I know you're out there because you write to me off line!),  do yourselves
a favor and check these out!

Taylor