[78-L] Victor 17231: Anvil / Forge

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Fri Jun 19 11:23:20 PDT 2009

        Okay, I understand that Victor re-used or appended to matrix
numbers when the same song was recorded by the same artist, even at a much
later date.
        However, I'm having trouble interpreting this specific situation:

        I have a Canadian Victor #17231:=  Victor Orchestra: Anvil chorus
/ Pryor's Band: The forge in the forest.
        Using the Victor Encyclopedic Discography (
http://victor.library.ucsb.edu ), I see that one version of that disc was
recorded as [Anvil] Mx B-4475=5 (1907-07-10) / [Forge] Mx B-1287=5
(1905-11-23).
        These sides were used in other discs, and had their first U.S.
combined release in February, 1913.
        Then what appears to be a new edition of the disc was recorded as
[Anvil] Mx B-4475=7  (1913-02-06) / [Forge] B-1287=6 (1923-07-24), and it
was offerred for another three years in the catalogue until it was dropped
in 1926.
        Or were the new recordings just dubs?  Or am I misreading this
page completely: http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/objectDetail.php?id=11685

        Why would the Victor Orchestra re-record "Anvil" in the very month
that the disc had just been released?
        Do the labels from my copy give a visual clue as to which edition
it is?
        They can be viewed at:
                http://bigband-smallband.blogspot.com/#3485368207082329115

Stephen D