[78-L] Writing in the wax

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 16 20:50:55 PDT 2009

Dubs were usually done because the disc didn't pass the wear test, the cutting
started too close to the edge or for some other reason including worn out
parts. Xavier Cugat's "One Two Three Kick" is a dub in all issued versions, as
far as I know, and the grooves STILL rip on the "kick".

And of course dubs were done when older recordings were reissued and they
wanted to disguise the disc's age (such as Rudy Vallee's "As Time Goes By") or
a more modern run-out was needed.

dl