[78-L] Writing in the wax

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 20:40:44 PDT 2009

No L.  The R you speak of means 're-recording'.  Otherwise known to
mean 'dubbed from another source'.  I don't know what these sides were
dubbed from, or why.

I have a late-30s pressing of 22438, two other sides from the same
session of 25 May 1930.  Both sides have R by the take digits, and the
sound is horrid.  Uncharacteristically shrill and metallic.  It almost
sounds like an early Plaza (Banner) electric!  (Does your record sound
like this?)