[78-L] Glass Compound 78s

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jun 16 15:08:41 PDT 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> But glass was
> rarely sold to the home recording market.  They used steel base and
> fibre base discs.

But glass discs were used in those "record your voice" studios. And glass discs
were available to purchasers who went to semi-pro stores..I picked up a large
collection of home cut discs from the estate of a musician in the Toronto
Symphony Orchestra, all dating from the early 40s. The Payette Radio catalogue
out of Montreal was still listing glass base discs as late as 1948, and Rex
Harrison breaks one in half in "Unfaithfully Yours" (either that or he's pretty
good at snapping aluminum).

I was taken to record stores by my parents from an early age, and one time in
1950 I heard a small girl say to her mother, "Mommy, is this a glass record?"
I'd never heard of such a thing (although I'd broken one a couple of years
earlier) and figured that was how Mommy kept the brat from breaking valuable stuff.