[78-L] Glass Compound 78s

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 16 08:55:12 PDT 2009

I believe that many of the RCA Victor Glenn Miller LP albums of pre WW II
Chesterfield show line checks were derived from Miller's personal stash of
glass based discs that had been stored, one upon the other, in a pile
located in his offices. Many cracked, many not.

Al Simmons

-----

This story is recounted in the GLENN MILLER FOR THE VERY FIRST TIME set -
I've always had my doubts about this, as I thought that glass-based discs
came into use after WWII was well underway, and Glenn's last civilian
Chesterfield show discs would have been from September 1942.  Of course, any
reference discs by his 1943-44 AAF band would likely have been glass.

Any opinions, Mike Biel?

Dave W.