[78-L] Glass Compound 78s

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jun 16 06:18:55 PDT 2009

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [78-L] Glass Compound 78s
From: 78records at cdbpdx.com
Date: Tue, June 16, 2009 8:41 am
To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>

> THANKS for all the info about these. Very helpful.
> The link below shows the label of one of the records I am inquiring
> about. You can see an under-label around the edge of the studio label.
> Is that label familiar?
> http://78records.cdbpdx.com/BCO/tn-800_BCO-07_SentForYouYesterday.JPG

Yes, this is a Presto Green Seal Glass Base disc label.

> When looking through this record, it is blue, as described. I have
> some records that are stamped GLASS on the label and they are red
> when I look through them. See link below:
> http://cdbpdx.com/78records/Labels/tn-600_RadioRecorders_5-31-44_SeeThru.JPG

I can't see this picture because it is asking for passwords.  But Radio
Recorders was a major Los Angeles studio that did ALL the recording for
CBS on the West Coast and usually had bright yellow labels.  The red
tinge might be AudioDiscs.  Is there a roughness you can see or feel
under the labels at about 2 or 2 1/2 inches diameter?  Does the center
hole look like a fibre base surface?

> I am keeping them in a 10 page record album. Guess I'd better
> make other arrangements for them.  Thanks! CDB

YES!! Having them in an album is the absolute worst way to store them,
except perhaps under the wheels of your car.  Eventually the result will
be the same.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com