[78-L] Condition freak

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 05:57:31 PDT 2009

Erwin Kluwer wrote:
> Ok, I'll admit I am a freak when it comes to the condition of vintage
> records...
>
> I generally won't settle for a less then a E or E+ condition... Over the
> years I have a lot of desired rarities passed by because there were in less
> condition (except for exceptional  rare items were virtually no better
> copies seem to exists...)
>
> Over the years I became more and more strict about this so I don't buy too
> many items because of my severance in this.. I almost don't  mind what I
>  pay for a record when it's close to perfect (I always seem to  manage to
> suppress what I paid for a record, but Iam constantly bugged by it's defects
> (the worst (in order of horror): a crack, greying, needle runs (very visible
> on label brrrr), obvious scratch, lamination cracks, needle digs
> (small).........
>
> The worst torture for me is to purchase a rare overgraded record...
> It's becoming  a sick thing. I want even a Berliner to be  near mint, or
> Blues Paramounts.... Well guess the trouble  finding that!!
>
> My guess is that a lot of collectors are a lot less picky about a
> record's condition....Or am I mistaken...??
>
> If any out there, please come out of the closet!!  I am hoping to have
> enough troubled reactions to start a selfhelp group.
>
> Erwin
I used to base my condition criteria on particular labels. If they were
"clean" labels like Columbia, Okeh, Victor etc, I wouldn't settle for
anything less than E+. This was based on the theory that a poorer
grading would affect the quality more than on "dirty labels" like the
Plaza Group, Grey Gull and various other cheap labels, where the sound
quality was already compromised, and the grading probably wouldn't make
that much difference.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4158 (20090616) __________

http://www.eset.com