[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jun 14 20:51:32 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> Congratulations,  Dennis.  It doesn't matter what you paid for it...when
> you
> have an opportunity to grab something you're pretty sure you might not see
> again for many moons,  then just go for it,  if you can afford it (and
> keep
> the news from the Mrs.!).
> I've never just happened upon some record treasure like that,  but get the
> same feeling when one of my "most wanted' turns up on a list or on eBay.
> I once paid $600 for a copy of the Jose Ferrer and the Pied Pipers 1932
> record of Sweet Georgia Brown...have never regretted it and have never
> seen
> as nice a copy offered since.  Was the price "too much"?  I'm sure some
> would argue that it was,  but who cares?    I paid more than that for the
> little blue Flexo record of sax player Larry Tice (Goldkette Orch)  from
> 1928 of a few guys jamming on some tune and then Larry wishing you a Merry
> Christmas for 1928.  Don't imagine I'll see that one again,  and if I do,
> it won't be for sale!

The most I have EVER paid for an individual 78 was $20...this was for an
"all-star" 12" Brunswick, which included the Boswell Sisters along with
other "stars" on the label c.1931! I DID surprise an auction-list operator
by bidding $6 & change for a copy of Oriole 100...a record I wasn't
aware had been issued. and one I needed for research!

However, I have picked up batches of several hundred (up to c.2500!)
78's for prices like $50. Not really "great listening"...but they do bring
me
closer to my goal of "EF78REM!!" (classical discs NOT included!). I'm
currently listing my holdings by label/number a milk box at a time; the
next two milk boxes contain sorted Victors, and were sorted about 20
years ago (I suspect there are newer additions...but that will be
established
after I look through MANY milk boxes of auction winnings from past
years...?!). In the meantime, I will be editing/revising/correcting the
appropriate "Abrams Files" for each batch of in-order records...I'm
currently working on Vi19200-19380!

In another month or two, I shall begin receiving my US Social Security
money (via my CPP)...which will give me some "spendin' cash" after
about 12 years (or more) of abject poverty!

...stevenc