[78-L] Sarnoff Library to Close

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 14 14:23:52 PDT 2009

The following letter fromAlex Magoun of the Sarnoff Library was just forwarded to me by a friend,  I've also provided link to the article that Alex references in his message.

Steve

Dear Friends of the Library,

This Sunday the Times of Trenton will run a story on the closing of the David Sarnoff Library by the end of the year.

The Library’s success in attracting field trips and tour groups has outgrown our host Sarnoff Corporation’s ability to accommodate the attendant security and access issues, especially given its expanding business in government security technologies.  When I started working here in 1998, the Library received perhaps 100 visitors in a year; in the last year, that number has multiplied to 1,400 through our field trips, programs, and tours.  That still small number, magnified by the hundreds of thousands of visitors to our website, promised only to increase as we continued to promote the Library’s offerings to tour companies and regional school districts.

My board and I are meeting with a variety of institutions.  We are focusing on and meeting with representatives of those that will enable greater access to the remarkable and inspiring stories told by David Sarnoff and the people of RCA in research, invention, and innovation, the mainstays of American economic success.  We are exploring opportunities in-state and out, and while it is too early to discuss these options, we look forward to making an announcement in the next month.

For now, we are eternally grateful to Sarnoff Corporation’s executives and staff who, over the past nine years have done so much to help make the Library a destination for educational, professional, and scholarly audiences.  I am also especially grateful to our board members who, in that nine years, have guided the Library’s growth; to the New Jersey Historical Commission and the Secretary of State for their operating support grants; to many other grantors and donors for their financial support; to the allied organizations who share an interest in promoting science and technology; to the teachers and principals who brought their classes to our new field trip programs; to the contractors and dozens of volunteers who helped rebuild the museum, organize and preserve the archives, and stage our amazing variety of educational programs; and of course to you, the many friends of the Library, from all these areas and more.  Thank you all!

Sincerely,

Alex

Alexander B. Magoun Ph.D.
Curator and Executive Director