[78-L] More questions re GGO on VT 2183-V.

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 14 14:01:29 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Pumiglio is a fine player...not sure I'd agree that he is better than JD but
> he is a great musician and can withstand comparison with any reed player of
> the era.  His tone on clarinet is wonderful.  One of my faves of his is The
> Singing Boys' Harmony of  "You'll Recognize My Baby."  He cooks on that one!
>
> I noted one of the violins as Joe LaFaro...is this man any relation
> (father?) of bass player Scott  LaFaro who played with the late 50s Bill
> Evans group,  and who died in a car accident around 1961?
>
> I also noted that the personnel provided by Lord us part Ramblers regulars
> and part Lown regulars (Cush,  Grey,  Felline,  etc.).
>
> And...I'm curious where Lord found some of his info...Allan Sutton told me
> that 90% of the personnel listings in Rust are sheer guesses.  How did Lord
> learn what he learned?
>
> Taylor B
Perhaps he got them from Kirkeby's cash books, now held at Rutgers.
These contain payments to musicians, so we can assume they were around
at the time of a particular session.

I agree that a lot of dance band personnels are "usual suspects".

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4153 (20090613) __________

http://www.eset.com