[78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sun Jun 14 09:40:00 PDT 2009

What was the Jolson?

Ron L

8-)

-----Original Message-----
From: 78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com
[mailto:78-l-bounces at klickitat.78online.com] On Behalf Of krabgrass at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 1:16 AM
To: 78-l at klickitat.78online.com; dennis.flannigan at gmail.com
Subject: [78-L] When the Holy Grail of 78s appears, what should you do?

For a country music collector, the legend of Hank Williams and the Sterling
sides seems like something

you'll probably never see, nor own. But it remains coveted. Today, I stopped
into Golden Oldies

in Tacoma, WA, operated by a music loving Northwesterner, Jeff Miller. While
there, a fellow he knew

walked in and said he had a few acetates of his early 1960's band, and a
couple of 78's. One, an Al

Jolson, and the other Sterling 201, in V+ or better shape. There it was,
Hank Williams and the record

I've know about, but never seen. Anyway, the result is I spent more money on
a single record than my

wife will ever know, and I now have the record. Just wanted to bask in that
it was a hell of a day

feeling for a little longer. Have any of you stumbled upon your Holy Grail
record in such a casual way?

Dennis Flannigan,