[78-L] Date required for Victor catalogue

D P Ingram darren at ingram.fi
Sat Jun 13 01:21:50 PDT 2009

Thanks for both replies ! I am trying to get as close a year as
possible for the purposes of cataloguing (rather than just list as
"undated". It is frustrating and I've tried not to guess (myself, that
is) as I know some places use inconsistent numbering. A couple of
labels have been helpful as they used a logical form, i.e 192201-01
which matches up well.

> If you can give the disc number of "the new Paderewski record" I can
> track
> back to my Victor book & find the date the "New record" was issued.

Firstly to this one. 1531 Red Seal 10" Dancing Virgins of Delphi/Veils.

After cataloguing 39 archive boxes of catalogues I also have the
following "date orphans" if someone could hazard a guess to the
publishing year?

BBC RECORDS CATALOGUE, Orange cover, 8 pg gatefold. Must be after 1971
(?) as has a decimal price convertor.  First record in list is REA 1M
"Our present knowledge of the universe, a lecture .. Lovell"  43/9
(price)

DECCA POLYPHON (Norwegian) 6 pg gatefold with picture of Charles Munch.

DECCA POLYPHON (Norwegian) 6 pg gatefold with picture of seven artists
(?unreadable old text TONEKUNST)

DECCA POLYPHON (Norwegian) 6 pg gatefold with picture of Wandy Tworek.

DECCA RECORDS (?USA) Fill Your Home With Music on Christmas Day (8 pg,
printed in Canada)

HMV "The Archive Series" 6 pg letter size (probably British or
Canadaian as it has shillings) h6087/951  Could this be 1951?

HMV UNUSUAL RECORDS, 16 pgs h5667/451 knp

HMV SPECIAL LIST, RECORDS OF GREAT MUSIC INTEREST NOT INCLUDED IN THE
GENERAL RECORD CATALOGUE AND AVAILABLE TO SPECIAL ORDER ONLY" 20pg
h3405/948  Could this be 1948?

PHILIPS GROUP, Music cassettes, 14 pp gatefold, no country or price
information 60s style girl on cover, Issued by Philips England though.

TELEFUNKEN RECORDS, "TELEFUNKEN RECORDS IN AMERICA" 6 pg gatefold
leaflet, price of records A & B 10" one dollar first record in list
SK1317/8 Concerto in A Minor for four pianos and orchestra.
Handwritten text /could/ indicate 1933 but somewhat unclear. Written
in English.

VICTOR RECORDS Musical Masterpieces 78 pgs, USA. Form 1k4211

VICTOR AND BLUEBIRD Popular Record Catalogue 95 pgs. Must be after
1942 as has reference in advert to 1942 Victorla. Form 1k3778

VICTOR RED SEAL CATALOGUE. A Library of Famous Voices. Red binding
(what remains)  122pgs. Caruso is first artist profile on p3.

Any help kindly accepted :)

Darren

¦ D P Ingram ¦ Ab Ingram Oy ¦
¦ darren at ingram.fi ¦  www.ingram.fi ¦
¦
¦ MUSIC LIBRARY FINLAND - www.musiclibrary.fi
¦
¦ +358 6 781 0275 (FIN) ¦ +46 8 5511 4995 (SWE) ¦ +44 203 014 3839
(UK) ¦
¦ extn 8001
¦