[78-L] Shellac (was: Get out those old records..)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jun 10 10:47:08 PDT 2009

From: George Anglin <packardmarmon1940 at sbcglobal.net>
> Mom's hairbrush was made of shellac, and every time I was spanked
> with it, I would tell my friends later that I had just got a
> shellacking. Nuff said.    Packard-marmon

I've told the story several times about the "performance artist" who
bought junker records from Mort Savada to break across her butt during
her act to the rhythm of "The Stripper".  So she gave herself a
shellacking.  Lucky records.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "Kristjan Saag" <saag at telia.com>
> Come to think of it: shellac, as far as I know, is usually pronounced
> shellac' in English, whereas German and Scandinavian languages has the
> stress on the first syllable: schel'lack.
> Some English dictionaries, though, give shel'lac as an alternative to
> shellac'.
> I wonder: has anyone, of you English-speaking Ladies and Gentlemen on the
> list, heard the alternative pronunciation used: shel'lack?

Yes...but only from sportscasters, who use "shellacking" to describe a
VERY
major defeat of one team by another!

...stevenc
(it's also a slang term to describe a state of EXTREME intoxication!)